Your house is your safe haven, and as a homeowner, you most likely do all you can to keep it protected from outside dangers such as burglars, fire, gas leaks, etc. But while many homeownerstake necessary steps to protect their home from the outside, they often overlook inside dangers such as mold. Along with rotents and pests, mold growth poses a health risk inside your home that must be addressed. To ensure that you and your family are protected, mold remediation may be necessary. Mold removal is also one of the steps involved with basement waterproofing. Here are some tips to get you started:
- One tip to know that there are mold growths in your home is if you show signs of the symptoms of mold exposure. Sneezing, coughing, throat irritation, nasal congestion, runny nose, skin and eye irritation, difficulty in breathing, tightness in the chest, and wheezing are just some of the symptoms. These are also symptoms of other common ailments so it is necessary to get yourself checked by a doctor while you hire someone to do mold assessment and mold remediation of your place.
- One surefire way to rid your home of molds is to hire the services of a professional. Mold removal experts like an indoor quality professional are also willing to do mold remediation plans where they indicate what exactly needs to be done in your home. Of course, you can pay them to do everything themselves. They can do all the tasks necessary; from inspection or assessment, to making restoration plans, to mold removal, basement waterproofing, foundation repair, and everything else.
- When doing mold removal, you must protect yourself from direct exposure. Wear protective clothing or gear like safety goggles, face mask or N-95 respirator, rubber gloves, a shirt with long sleeves, and a pair of pants.
- Remove all your stuff, including rugs and pieces of furniture, before you start cleaning and doing mold removal. It is easier to spot affected areas with less objects lying around. Also, you will need to clean them outside, especially if they also have mold growth on them.
- You may want to consider doing some major repairs on your basement. Aside from the necessary repair of pipe leaks, and cracked floors and walls, you can also do some foundation repair, insulation installation, and other things. This will help prevent regrowth of mold.
- It is wise to repaint and do basement waterproofing after you clean the place up. However, make sure everything is completely dry. Don’t use the so-called anti-fungal paint and don’t paint over the mold.
Molds may seem harmless but in truth, they can cause more than just allergies. You can develop respiratory problems from prolonged inhalation of the molds. They also produce mycotoxins which may lead to neurological problems. With molds in your home, you are at risk of being exposed to too much of these mycotoxins which have also been the cause of death in some cases. Doing mold removal is just one way to prevent such things from happening. Also before hiring a basement waterproofing company make sure all the mold has been removed first.